More education details will be coming soon! To see all of our schools and certifications, visit the AFA Education Page
FENECETECH 2020: Call for Presentations
CALL FOR PRESENTATIONS
AFA is conducting a Call for Presentations for FENCETECH in Salt Lake City, Utah March 3-6, 2020. Educational programming is conducted each day, Tuesday – Friday (March 3-6). Presentations begin as early as 8:00 a.m. and run throughout the day, ending as late as 5:00 p.m. All completed submissions will be peer-reviewed and the AFA 2020 educational program will be announced in August 2019.
The AFA is excited to announce new conference tracks. The conference has always evolved in response to new challenges and opportunities facing the fence industry. These leading-edge tracks set a new standard for research and solutions that will shape the future of fencing. AFA is looking for a wide array of topics that are innovative, engaging, inspiring, and informative for fence and deck contractors across the USA. The AFA’s goal is to offer relevant, timely education and training to help attendees do their jobs more effectively and make their businesses more successful. Conference attendees are interested in hearing the latest trends, installation techniques, and best practices from industry experts and peers. First-hand perspectives provide insight. Proposals should address contemporary or emerging issues confronting the fence profession.
- Business Management
- Business Law
- Marketing/Advertising/Social Media
- Human Resources
- Recruitment and retention
- Personnel management
- Essential HR Tools
- Managing the sales team
- Techniques (Basics & Advanced)
- Installation Techniques & Updates
- Gate automation
- Schematics and blue print reading
- Related to disciplines (chain link, wood, farm and ranch, ornamental iron, and vinyl)
- Lead generation
- Accounting software
- Apps for increased business productivity and profitability
- Estimating / bidding software
ABOUT THE AUDIENCE
Participants are fence and deck professionals. Participants include contractors, installers, business owners, upper management, sales staff — anyone charged with increasing performance in the workplace. Experience levels of the participants also vary from individuals new to the industry to seasoned veterans.
- Provide high quality and engaging educational presentations.
- Engage attendees through audience participation and discussion.
- Ensure the presentation is not perceived as an infomercial (Selling is not allowed; see additional info under Review Process / Evaluation Criteria).
- Promote your participation in the event using social media outlets.
ABOUT THE PROCESS
- A maximum of four proposals may be submitted by any one person.
- All proposals must be educational in nature — sales-oriented (infomercial) proposals will not be accepted or considered.
- All steps of the proposal submission process must be completed.
- All proposals will go through a thorough review process with a volunteer Review Committee made up of industry professionals.
- AFA does not pay per diem, honoraria, or expenses for presenters.
- Presenters to provide computer and/or mobile device and any software required for the presentation.
- Event is promoted in printed brochures; in Attendee Brochure and Fencepost, and in Across the Fence e-newsletter; and via emails to the FENCETECH universe of subscribers, attendees and members. Additional event advertising and editorial is placed in related trade publications.
- All presentation rooms will be set as theater or classroom style. A podium and head table is standard in each room. Additionally, the following AV equipment will be set in each room:
- (1) LCD projector & screen
- wireless presentation remote
- (1) podium microphone
- (1) table-top microphone for panelists
HOW TO SUBMIT
- Presenter contact information.
- Presenter bio focused on qualifications to present this information, including previous conference experience.
- Links to sample video presentation(s) if available.
- Presentation level, intended audience, topic/track category, type and length.
- Specific, descriptive title which clearly states the benefit of attending (15-word limit).
- Concise, clear and jargon-free description of the theme/purpose of presentation (75-word limit).
- A minimum of 3 performance-based learning objectives.
- Deadline to submit is Friday, July 26, 2019.
REVIEW PROCESS / EVALUATION CRITERIA
All presentations are peer-reviewed by AFA members. Reviewers will consider the following:
- Does the topic address a contemporary fence issue?
- Can the presented information apply to different-sized businesses and a diverse audience?
- Is the topic unique and information not available through other sources?
- Is the presentation description clear and concise? Can attendees easily tell what to expect by reading it?
- Are the learning objectives clear and can be met in the allotted time?
- Does the presentation support AFA’s high standards and reputation for the best conference presentations?
- Are the proposed speakers qualified to instruct the presentation topic?
- If the presentation is focused on a specific audience, is there a proposed speaker from that audience? For example, is it an attorney speaking in a Legal presentation or business owner speaking at a business owner level presentation? The audience wants to learn from its peers and gain first-hand knowledge from those who have experienced the material or information presented.
- AFA does not allow the promotion of products and services during educational presentations. Speakers can talk about products and services that have been used to solve a problem or address the presentation topic. Whenever possible presenters should suggest alternative products and services as well. Product demos are available for the promotion of products and services in the Exhibit Hall Wednesday – Friday for current exhibiting companies.
Reviewers evaluate the submissions based upon quality and criteria noted above. Top recommendations will then be evaluated by AFA leadership to ensure the entire educational program is well-balanced.
Your proposal is valued and will be carefully considered by our review committee. Decisions will be made and communicated to all submitters no later than August 30, 2019. We appreciate all submissions and if you are not selected for this upcoming program, we welcome you to submit again for the following year.